Sunday, May 29, 2011

Friday, May 27th Lotus Temple

view from above!
Inside, looking up at the ceiling.


It is a beautiful piece of architecture. Dominating a portion of the “sky line”. Although it is not very tall…any large, structured piece of planned building seems somewhat rare to be seen in most of Delhi.

It is a Bahá'í House of Worship. There is a lot to say about that religion/approach to religion. I don’t know enough to say much. but It sounds pretty on paper.

Very all accepting, many roads to one destination. All are right according to their own heart. That sort of touchy feely, politically correct fluff. it prefers pleasantries to honesty. It prefers to be inoffensive than offer truth.

Maybe I’m looking at it wrong. Maybe it’s the new age hippie!

It was worth seeing though!

We checked in our shoes, followed the mesh carpet strips they had laid on the ground for everyones barefeet. Two levels, the one on top is the basic entry. The inside is massively domed. Simply encasing the large space below it. The inside was mostly empty, except for the pews and basic alter decorated with flowers. People were quiet, and the sounds bounced around or were lost in the overhead space.

We had lots to talk about though, (Luke Jonathan and I) and were scolded for our conversational whispering. :x oops! Didn’t mean to be disrespectful.

No sermons or anything are given inside the temple, only readings from holy scriptures, music or chanting and nothing with instruments.

I suppose I would have found it nice for prayer if it wasn’t for the crowds. Although quiet, the presence of so many people does not facilitate peace, but that’s just me.

but I don 't know if it would feel encouraging for prayer and peace, even without people, just due to its nature as a pagan temple. It feels odd. Not bad vibes, just unsettling ones.

It was lovely to see. From a birds view, the pools around it are designed to add to its appearance as a lotus flower.


1 comment:

  1. I realize this blog is now inactive, but if you do get a chance to read this comment I encourage you to learn more about the Baha'i Faith. The impressions you got of the Faith in your short time there were very inaccurate, and I'm sorry if the displays somehow led you to that impression. I don't mind someone disagreeing with my Faith, but I think it's good to get a full understanding of a Faith before passing judgement on it. www.bahai.org is a helpful resource in this regard.

    ReplyDelete